Our goal is to track as little as possible, only collecting what will help us improve Console. To do that, we want to understand the following metrics:
- How many visitors have been on our website.
- Where those visitors are referred from.
- Which pages they visit.
- What browser are they using, and whether it is mobile or desktop.
- How that is trending over time.
- How many email subscribers we have.
- Whether the tools we include in our weekly newsletter are interesting.
Using these simple metrics, we can analyse how many people sign up to our newsletter, which website pages are the most popular (so we can invest more in those types of page), whether our marketing is working (paid vs organic), and how we’re doing over time. Knowing browser and device type helps us ensure we test on the right platforms.
We don’t need anything more detailed, and certainly don’t need or want to track website visitors on an individual level. We especially want to avoid services which conduct mass tracking across the internet e.g. Google Analytics, Facebook Pixel, etc.
If you sign up to our newsletter then we collect your email, and may link a referrer reference to help us track our marketing efforts. We don’t track whether our emails are opened, but are interested in which links get clicked so we can improve our selection criteria.
Our newsletter and website contains links to websites and third-parties. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Who are we?
Console Ltd is registered in England and Wales at 28 Easton Street, Ink Rooms, Unit 207, London, WC1X 0DS, UK. Our company number is 13016709 and our UK Data Protection registration number is ZA837052.
How do I contact you?
Our Data Protection Officer is David Mytton who can be contacted by email: email@example.com.
Data processing purposes
If you sign up to our email newsletter, we collect your personal data for the purpose of sending you the newsletter.
We only collect data directly from users and do not perform any automated decision-making or profiling based on personal data. We do not do large-scale processing of personal data but have voluntarily appointed a Data Protection Officer (above).
We will never sell your personal data under any circumstances.
Lawful purposes for processing
- Consent. By signing up to our newsletter you are consenting to receive that newsletter by email. We use double opt-in to ensure we have your consent. You can withdraw your consent at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in each email or by contacting us by email.
- Legitimate interests. We track the links you click within our newsletter to help us improve our selection criteria.
Recipients of personal data
We work with a number of third-party vendors to help us run Console. We may transfer personal data to or through these services:
- Cloudflare: Where run our websites and infrastructure.
- Google: We host our email with Google, and use docs/drive collaboration software from Google.
- Mailchimp: Used for mailing list management and sending emails.
- Microsoft Azure: Where we run our websites and infrastructure.
- Zapier: Newsletter signups via Product Hunt’s email lead generation ad unit are pushed (one way) through Zapier to automatically subscribe them in Mailchimp.
We may transfer your personal data outside of the EU on the basis of an adequacy decision by the European Commission under Article 45 of the UK GDPR.
We will only keep your personal data whilst we have a use for it. If you are a newsletter subscriber but have not clicked any links in our emails for over a year, we will unsubscribe you and delete your data. If you manually unsubscribe, we will stop sending you emails but will keep your data for 1 year to help us track unsubscribe rates over time.
You have the right to ask us to delete your data at any time. Please email us to request this.
You have the right to access, rectify, erase, restrict, and object to our use of your data. You can also request a portable version of your data. Email us to request any of these rights.
You can withdraw your consent at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in each email or by contacting us by email.
If you are unhappy with our use of your data you can complain to the UK Information Commissioner’s Office.