Our goal is to track as little as possible, only collecting what is essential for running Console.
On our websites, this means we collect metrics about the number of visitors, where they have come from, which pages they visit on our website, and whether they sign up to our products. Knowing browser and device type helps us ensure we test on the right platforms.
If you click through one of our ads, such as on Reddit or Twitter, we track whether you then sign up using their tracking. We don’t need or want to track website visitors on an individual level and we especially want to avoid mass tracking across the internet e.g. Google Analytics, Facebook Pixel, etc.
If you sign up to our newsletter then we collect your email and may link a referrer reference to help us track our marketing efforts. We don’t track whether our emails are opened, but are interested in which links get clicked so we can improve our selection criteria. We also track which links are clicked on our website.
If you sign up to Jobs Console, we collect your email and information about your job preferences. We use this to match you with the best jobs. Your profile is private until you decide to engage with one of the organizations looking to recruit. If you flag interest in a job we’ve sent you, we pass your profile to the hiring manager. This is anonymous by default, but if you add any (optional) extra information such as a blog or other portfolio URL, that will also be sent and may reveal your identity. We only provide hiring managers with your contact details once you have both opted to receive them.
You can unsubscribe from all our emails at any time using the link in each email or by contacting us.
Our newsletter and website contains links to websites and third-parties. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
That’s the plain English version. Here are the extra details.
2022-09-16 (change history).
Data processing purposes
If you sign up to our devtools newsletter, we collect your personal data for the purpose of sending you the newsletter. We do not use this information for any automated decision-making or profiling based on personal data.
If you sign up to Jobs Console, we collect your personal information for the purposes of matching you with jobs, sending them to you, then connecting you with the hiring manager if you flag your interest. We use the information you provide us to make automated decisions about whether a particular job fits your preferences. You can update your preferences or delete your account at any time by logging in to your account or by contacting us.
We will never sell your personal data under any circumstances. We do not provide your data to third-parties for marketing purposes.
Lawful purposes for processing
- By signing up to our devtools newsletter you are consenting to receive that newsletter by email. We use double opt-in to ensure we have your consent. You can withdraw your consent at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in each email or by contacting us by email.
- By signing up to Jobs Console you are consenting to us using your personal information to match you with jobs and send them to you. If you flag your interest in a job, you are consenting to us passing your information to the hiring manager for that job. If the hiring manager is interested in speaking with you, we will then connect you with them via email. You can withdraw your consent at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in each email, logging into your account, or by contacting us via email.
- Legitimate interests. We track the links you click within our emails to help us improve our selection criteria.
We do not knowingly collect information from children. If you are under the age of 16, please do not submit any personal data.
Recipients of personal data
We work with a number of third-party vendors to help us run Console. We may transfer personal data to or through these services for the following purposes:
- Cloudflare: Where we run some of our websites and infrastructure.
- Courier: Used to manage emails we send.
- Encore: Where we run some of our websites and infrastructure.
- DocuSign: If you are a customer, we manage contracts using DocuSign.
- Google: We use Google Workspace for our email, docs and general business collaboration/productivity. We also use Google Cloud services for some of our websites and infrastructure. We use Google Firebase Auth for user authentication.
- Mailchimp: Used for mailing list management and sending emails.
- Notion: Used for internal collaboration and tracking of customer contacts.
- Postmark: Used to manage emails we send.
- QuickBooks: Used for invoices and financial management if you are a supplier or customer.
- Reddit: If you click through from a Reddit ad, we use Reddit’s tools to track if you then sign up to Console.
- Retool: Used for back-office management.
- SendGrid: Used to manage emails we send.
- Twitter: If you click through from a Twitter ad, we use Twitter’s tools to track if you then sign up to Console.
- Vercel: Where we run some of our websites and infrastructure.
- Xero: Used for invoices and financial management if you are a supplier or customer.
Our websites and infrastructure run in the United States by default, but we also use content delivery, caching, and other optimizations across global infrastructure to make our services faster. As such we may transfer your personal data on the basis that there are appropriate safeguards in place. This includes transferring data outside of the EU and UK.
We do not provide your data to any of these third-parties for marketing purposes.
We will only keep your personal data whilst we have a use for it.
If you unsubscribe from our devtools newsletter, we will stop sending you emails, but will keep your data for 1 year to help us track unsubscribe rates over time. If you wish to delete all your data immediately, please email us.
If you unsubscribe from Jobs Console, we will stop sending you emails, but will keep your data for 1 year to allow you to resubscribe. You can delete your data at any time by logging into your account or by emailing us.
If you set your style preferences on our website to either light mode or dark
mode, we save the preference in your browser local storage. This is anonymous
and does not track you. The key is
If you log into Jobs Console, we set cookies to keep track of your session. This
is set for 30 days to allow you to automatically log in when you return. The
jobs-console-session. If you log in using GitHub, they may set their
own cookies. See the GitHub Privacy
Policy for more
You have the right to access, rectify, erase, restrict, and object to our use of your data. You can also request a portable version of your data. We extend these rights to all users globally. Email us to request any of these rights.
You can withdraw your consent at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in each email or by contacting us by email.
For Jobs Console subscribers, you can delete your data by logging into your account.
For devtools newsletter subscribers, you can also exercise your rights by contacting Mailchimp directly.
Your California privacy rights
If you are a California resident, you have specific rights under the California Civil Code Section 1798.83. These are covered in the “Your rights” section above and can be exercised by emailing us.
We do not sell your personal information and do not disclose it to any third parties for marketing purposes.
The list of companies that we use to store, process, or transmit your personal information is provided above. None of these are for marketing purposes.
Who are we?
Console Labs, Inc. is a Delaware corporation. 548 Market St, San Francisco, California 94104 US.
Console Ltd is registered in England and Wales at RH 115 The Record Hall, 16-16A Baldwins Gardens, London, EC1N 7RJ, UK. Our company number is 13016709 and our UK Data Protection registration number is ZA837052.
How do I contact you?
Our Data Protection Officer is David Mytton who can be contacted by email: email@example.com.
If you are unhappy with our use of your data you can complain to the UK Information Commissioner’s Office.